Juan Carlos Martínez is an award-winning artist, an art educator, and a specialist in portraiture and whose artwork, in the past couple of decades, has been featured in various publications and exhibitions around the world. Juan’s work has primarily been portraits and figurative subjects but he is now branching more deeply into landscape, both real and imaginary. His work hangs in private and public collections in Canada, the US, and in Europe.
Juan was born in Saskatchewan, Canada, and grew up in the city of Regina. After obtaining his B.A. (Hons.) from the University of Regina, he went on to obtain a law degree at the University of Saskatchewan and, later, continued his studies at John Marshall Law School in Chicago, IL, where he received a Master of Laws degree.
After practicing as a lawyer for a number of years in Saskatoon (Canada) and, briefly, in Toronto, Juan began to finally pursue more seriously his true vocation of classical painting. In 2001 he completed an intensive five-year course of study in Toronto and in Florence, Italy, under the tutelage of renowned painter and teacher, Michael John Angel. The training was in what is now known as the classical realist tradition. For more than a decade, Juan was a senior instructor at Toronto’s Academy of Realist Art (ARA) as well as conducting workshops elsewhere. Today, teaches on his own behalf via workshops, still at ARA as well as in other locations in Canada, in the US, and abroad. Juan has authored a number of instructional articles for various publications in traditional print and in online media. He gives lectures on technical, art historical, and aesthetic matters relating to his Art and its Traditions.
Juan continues always to develop his body of work and maintain an influence as a teacher and mentor, and as a commissioned portrait painter.
Please feel free to contact Juan directly regarding available work, commissions, or about instruction, lectures, and workshops.
Awards & Achievements
• 2016 Finalist Portrait Society of America, Members Only Competition, "Outside The Box" category
• 2016 Finalist Art Renewal Center (ARC) Worldwide Salon Competition, Figure and Portrait Categories
• 2015 Finalist NEXT! Juried Exhibition, Arts & Letters Club, Toronto, ON
• 2013 2nd Place Award, Art Renewal Center (ARC) Worldwide Salon Competition, Drawing Category
• 2013 2010, 2009, 2007 ARC Salon Finalist Art Renewal Center Worldwide Salon Competition, Figure and Drawing Categories
• 2011 Finalist and Award of Exceptional Merit Portrait Society of America, Art of the Portrait Conference, Atlanta, GA
• 2010 Buckhorn Art FestivalPart of “Canadian Masters” exhibit (which included Robert Bateman and Michael Dumas),
Buckhorn Art Festival, Buckhorn, ON
• 2009 Featured in Season 1 of “Star Portraits” on Bravo! TV.
• 2009 2nd Place Award, Richeson 75 International: Portrait & Figure, Richeson School of Art and Gallery, Kimberly, WI, USA
• 2008 Presenter and Panelist Portrait Society of Canada International Portrait Arts Festival, Toronto, ON
• 2006 Presenter and Judge Portrait Society of Canada International Portrait Arts Festival, Toronto, ON
• 2006 Certificate of Excellence Portrait Society of America, Art of the Portrait Conference, Dallas TX
• 2004 Best Portfolio Portrait Society of America, Art of the Portrait Conference, Boston MA
• 2004 Merit Certificate Portrait Society of America, Art of the Portrait Conference, Boston MA
• 2004 Invited to ARC “Living Masters” gallery Art Renewal Center (ARC)
• 2004 ARC Salon Honourable Mention Art Renewal Center (ARC) Worldwide Salon Competition; Still Life, www.artrenewal.org
• 2003 Best in Show and Grand Prize Portrait Society of Canada, International Portrait Arts Competition, Toronto, ON
Publications (Appearing in)
• 2016 Featured Artist in 21st Century Figurative Art: The Resurrection of Art by Jan Esmann, (Blue Pearl Publications, Copenhagen)
• 2014 Fine Art Connoisseur Magazine, April issue; “Today’s Masters”.
• 2013 Fine Art Connoisseur Magazine Nov./Dec. issue, “ARC Salon winners”
• 2011 American Artist Magazine — Feature article
• 2011 Lawyer’s Weekly — “Portrait of the Artist as an ex-Lawyer”
• 2010 Poets and Artists Magazine— On cover and feature article, October issue.
• 2010 Brushstroke Magazine — On cover of Jun./July issue
• 2007 Brushstroke Magazine — Subject of main feature article in inaugural issue.
• 2007 American Artist Magazine: Drawing
• 2005–2006 International Artist Magazine — Author, 6-part instructional series: “Academy Way”
• 2017 LEGACY (Nov. 2017) Curated Exhibition, Gallery 1261, Denver, CO
• 2015 NEXT! Juried Exhibition, Arts & Letters Club, Toronto, ON
• 2013 Figurative Art International Juried Exhibition, Figurativas en Red, Barcelona, Spain
• 2010 Buckhorn Art Festival, “Canadian Masters” invitational exhibition, Buckhorn, ON
• 2009 Praxis: Beauty & Truth, Group exhibition, Joseph D. Carrier Gallery, Toronto, ON
• 2008 The Inspired Line, Group show, Hamilton Conservatory for the Arts, Hamilton, ON
• 2007 Young Masters, Group show, Andreeva Gallery, Santa Fe, NM, USA
• 2007 Converging Passions, Group show, instructors and faculty, Andreeva Gallery, Santa Fe, NM, USA
• 2005 Realist Revival, Group show ARA students and faculty, Earl’s Court Gallery, Hamilton, ON
• 2003 Still Classical: Recent Works on Paper from Florentine Academies, Westbeth Arts Center Gallery, NY, ISB Gallery,Rhode Island School of Art,and Design, Providence, RI;Palazzetto Cenci, Rome, Italy; Chiesa dell’Educatorio di Fuligno, Florence, Italy
• 2003 – 2012 ARA Annual Open House, Group show ARA students and faculty, Academy of Realist Art, Toronto, ON
• 2002 RebelAngels.com, Contemporary Realist Painters’ self-portrait exhibition, invitational
• 2001 Canadian Miniatures, Invitational Group Show, Deerhurst Resort, ON